Title: Chief Estimator
Reports to: Director, Project Development
Location: Burnaby, BC
Scott Construction is a well-known and trusted General Contractor & Construction Manager based in Western Canada. With offices in Burnaby and Calgary, Scott has been providing construction management services and building relationships since 1984.
Our diverse portfolio of projects finds us building amazing complex structures to smaller renovation projects for clients in the commercial, residential, institutional, industrial and special projects sectors.
We are looking for an experienced Chief Estimator who knows that building projects and building relationships go hand in hand. Working collaboratively as part of our team and in partnership with our clients, you will ensure that their expectations have been met and exceeded.
Reporting to the Director, Project Development, the Chief Estimator will be responsible for providing day-to-day leadership, strategy and direction to the Estimating team. The Chief Estimator will work collaboratively with Project Management & Preconstruction teams to ensure estimates are done accurately and in a timely manner, and is accountable to coordinate the delivery of estimates on multiple concurrent tenders through the Estimating team.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with the client, consultants, subcontractors, public and project team;
- Manage and administer department functions including operating budgets, workforce planning and allocating work assignments;
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures and systems to improve efficiencies within the Estimating department;
- Create goals and strategies for the Estimating department strategic plan, including delivering on those goals;
- Coach, mentor and develop Estimating team members regularly providing feedback and development opportunities;
- Consult and collaborate with project teams with regard to general conditions, construction methodology and schedules during the Tender/Pre-Construction process;
- Review all final estimate packages to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to formal quotation;
- Represent Scott Construction at company-sponsored and industry events;
- Maintain awareness of current marketplace and trends to gain and maintain our competitive advantage and develop effective bid strategies;
- Assist in securing new work by participating in proposals and presentations and providing leads to BD/Preconstruction team;
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of full cost estimates on conceptual, design-build, lump sum or general tender for a variety of projects;
- Interpret documentation, specifications and design drawings to define scope/contents of estimates;
- Perform quantity take-offs from tender drawings;
- Develop and present detailed budgets; and
- Review/analyze bid packages from subcontractors.
- Provide leadership to ensure Scott’s culture, commitments and accountabilities are being met in the following areas:
- To provide an environment of respect, wellness and career growth for all staff
- To continually contribute to building backlog of profitable work
- To schedule, budget, quality and service
- To occupational health & safety and the environment
- To managing, mitigating and eliminating risk
Experience & Qualifications:
- At least 10 years’ previous experience performing estimating work on construction projects ranging from $50,000 to $500 million in spend;
- At least 5 years’ experience managing a team in a project environment;
- Demonstrated BD experience,
- Estimating experience working on high rise residential, commercial, institutional construction projects;
- University or college diploma in a relevant construction/engineering program;
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, etc.
- Experience with Procore an asset;
- Excellent relationship building skills;
- Demonstrated communication, organizational and leadership skills;
- Solid understanding of specifications, construction methods and procedure;
- Knowledge of key principles involved in bid preparation, including quantity take off procedures, sub-trade procurement, pricing and bid closing procedures;
- Exposure to Contract law, Insurance and Bonding; and
- Proven integrity when dealing with Clients, Trades and Consultants.
Scott Construction Group offers the unique opportunity to work on safe, challenging, high-profile projects, provides a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package, and the unique experience to grow your career with some of the most amazing people in the industry.
Qualified candidates should apply including a cover letter and resume.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Scott Construction Group is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about Scott Construction Group, please visit www.scottconstructiongroup.com