The Metro-Can difference
As a well-established construction firm, you might think that the most important asset we have is our equipment, or our safety record, or the good standing we have in our industry. And while these three points are important, we understand that there is one thing greater and more important; our people!
Metro-Can Projects provides construction management services in Western Canada and Southern Ontario for the Commercial ICI and Industrial Buildings. Recent focus has been on the seniors living, long-term care and hotel renewal sectors. Our Western Canada office is located in Vancouver, BC and our Ontario office is located in Markham, ON.
The collective construction strength of Metro-Can Projects allied with Metro-Can Construction, IDL Projects and the JV Driver Group of Companies is tremendous. We can draw on our wealth of knowledge and provide the level of construction service that our clients deserve.
The General Superintendent both reports to and takes direction from the Construction Manager. The primary responsibility of the General Superintendent is to oversee total field construction and insure the project is constructed in accordance with planning, schedule, design and works with project management to ensure budgets are aligned with forecast to completion.
• Mentors and coaches staff, interprets performance and provides feedback
• Develops and leads their team from a construction and project perspective, through Human Resources
practices and objectives that support an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes
empowerment, quality, productivity, and safety
• Follows processes and metrics that support the achievement of the organization's Project Controls goals
• Coordinates with other trades, Safety, Engineering/Planning, HR, LR, Payroll, Project Controls, Contracts
and Sub-Contracts, Equipment and the warehouse, both on and off site
• Serves as a knowledgeable resource to the construction/project management team and provides overall
company leadership and direction.
• Manages all superintendents, materials and equipment as per the projected execution plan including the
coordination of field construction staff
• Assists Superintendents in planning work schedules, determining manpower levels, material quantities, and
• Acts as a liaison with other departments to ensure the project schedule is met
• Monitors contractors, trades performance, progress, and productivity
• Coordinates plans with field engineers to overcome any inconsistencies
• Responds to detailed direction of construction specifications, budgets and schedules
• Assists in creates and reviews the building of IWP’s (installation Work Packs)
• Understands and can interpret the P6 schedule; as well as ensures the Superintendents are supporting the
schedulers with daily updates.
• Proficient in Excel, Word, Power Point and Visio
• Advanced knowledge in P6 or equivalent
• Advanced knowledge of construction
• Base understanding of Project Controls
• Intermediate understanding of Work Face Planning
• Advanced understanding of quality control process including turnover
• Base understanding of receiving, warehouse functions and material management
• Base understanding of procurement procedures
• Coordinate offsite activities
• Able to coordinate and supervise sub-contractors
• Meetings – Be able to organize a meeting, create an agenda, record action items and set completion dates for
action items for specific individuals or groups
• Capable of building a detailed org chart
• Advanced understanding of project infrastructure and cost
• Base understanding of contract documentation and how it pertains to the work scope.
• Technical Trades certification with 12-15 years’ experience or equivalent
• Superintendent Experience for a minimum 2–3 years.
Learn more about Metro-Can