Construction Project Manager
The Metro-Can difference
As a well-established construction firm, you might think that the most important asset we have is our equipment, or our safety record, or the good standing we have in our industry. And while these three points are important, we understand that there is one thing greater and more important; our people!
Metro-Can Projects provides construction management services in Western Canada and Southern Ontario for the Commercial ICI and Industrial Buildings. Recent focus has been on the seniors living, long-term care and hotel renewal sectors. Our Western Canada office is located in Vancouver, BC and our Ontario office is located in Markham, ON.
The collective construction strength of Metro-Can Projects allied with Metro-Can Construction, IDL Projects and the JV Driver Group of Companies is tremendous. We can draw on our wealth of knowledge and provide the level of construction service that our clients deserve.
We are actively seeking experienced Project Managers to add to our team with responsibility for coordinating mid to large-scale projects ranging from $10 - $30 million in value. As a project manager, you will plan construction projects and oversee their progress from conception to completion.
Role & Responsibilities
- Develops conceptual budgets
- Prepares detailed budgets/estimates
- Manages all facets of construction, including communication with Owners, Consultants and Subtrades
- Mentors and coaches Superintendents, Safety Personnel, Labourers and Support Staff
- Attends to complex or unique issues which may arise internally or externally
- Maintains a professional and continuous positive rapport with Owner throughout the project
- Reviews project plans and specifications to ensure accurate scheduling and costing
- Negotiates and awards Subtrade Contracts, issue Letters of Intent, Scopes of Work and oversee contract administration
- Works with Superintendent by delegating authority and responsibility for maintaining the schedule and organizing subtrades
- In conjunction with project team, maintains and drives the schedule ensuring milestones and deadlines are being met
- Oversees project set-up, scheduling, quality and cost control
- Directs regular site meetings with Subtrades, Architects and Consultants
- Works with Superintendents to deliver safety-oriented, on schedule, high quality projects
- Conducts regular site inspections to ensure quality is being delivered, site conditions and project schedules are being maintained
- Plans ahead, assesses and addresses site issues and works with site personnel/subtrades to provide resolutions
- Ensures construction progress is in compliance with building and safety standards
- Ensures permits and licenses are obtained as required
- Prepares accurate Progress Claims to Owner and submits on time
- Oversees and authorizes Subtrade Progress Claims and submits to Accounting by specified deadline
- Accumulates costs and prepares change orders to Owner and Subtrades
- Accumulates all documentation required for Occupancy ensuring accuracy of information
- Overall control of project and ultimately responsible for the timely and accurate preparation and administration of submittals, change orders, inspection requirements, RFI's and SI's whether maintained by you or other staff reporting to you
- Project close out.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience as a Project Manager in mid-rise and high-rise commercial and residential construction and must have experience in concrete built structures
- College or University degree in a construction related field
- Understanding of construction terms, scheduling, planning and cost control / budgets
- Good working knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook and Microsoft Projects
- Excellent organizational, planning, communication and time management skills
- Ability to work well with others and lead team
- Good attention to detail and creative problem solving ability.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Problem solving and conflict resolution
- Must be hands on
- Strong planning, organizational and communication skills
- Proven leadership skills and ability to motivate others.
Learn more about Metro-Can