For buildings projects.
IDL Projects Inc. (IDL) is a dynamic, rapidly expanding company focused on providing a broad array of construction services in Canada and internationally. We have established ourselves as a go-to solutions provider in the construction areas of civil and infrastructure, commercial, residential, public and institutional, industrial, energy, mining and safety services.
The Estimator is responsible for: completing quantity takeoffs; sub trade solicitation; and preparing budgets, cost studies, and competitive bid comparisons to complete estimate package and ensure all information has been gathered in order to successfully bid and win the project.
IDL Project’s head office is located in Prince George, British Columbia and has multiple satellite offices across western Canada including Terrace, Vancouver and Vancouver Island. This position is based out of Prince George, with possibility of out of town travel.
Known as BC’s Northern Capital, Prince George is city that offers big city comfort and convenience, but all the benefits of a smaller center. The cost of housing is reasonable, the commute is effortless and a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Solicits and maintains contact with trades and vendors regarding invitations, pricing, addenda and tender/bid closings, showing creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors while maintaining IDL’s quality and safety standards
- Works with the Project Manager in the development of the schedule on which the estimate is built, requests input from the project team and the various trades as required
- Provides guidance for non-estimating personnel on their estimating related requirements
- Provides support in the preparation and modification of details and drawings; prepares drawings and sketches to support work as required
- Prepares estimates to support the change order process and / or claims
- Conducts a detailed analysis of the contract documents and specifications, to determine overall project requirements (bonding, insurance, etc.) and identifies any associated risk factors, including the monitoring anything that may alter the original scope of the project
- Completes final cost estimate of a project through the use of software systems, incorporating all labour, equipment, and material data, pricing documentation, overhead and profit margins, and produces a final tender submission for review and approval of Chief Estimator and Management
- Assists in the preparation of the final tender documents for submission to client on behalf of IDL in order to meet contract deadline submission requirements
- Prepare estimates of likely costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, site visits, schematic drawings and specifications
- Prepare bid documents with clear and concise scopes of work
- Maintain / update project bid list
- Participation in bid closing
- Shares expertise and estimated versus actual costs with the estimating team in an ongoing effort to develop, recommend revisions and implement procedures, standards, rules and regulations
- May perform other related duties as assigned
- 4 year of progressive experience in construction cost estimating, working with a general contractor preferred in the ICI Sector. A recent graduate with applicable experience either as part of past work experience, summer work or co-op positions will also be considered. This is also a great opportunity for a tradesperson with significant supervisory experience that is looking to take on a different role
- Diploma or degree in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Estimating, Engineering or a Red-Seal Journeyman Certificate or equivalent
- Experience with design-build and taking a conceptual estimate to a firm price.
- Technical knowledge of modern construction practices, concepts, procedures and equipment
- Intermediate knowledge of key principles involved in bid preparation, including quantity take off procedures, sub-trade procurement, pricing and bid closing procedures
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work under pressure
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to interface and communicate effectively with others; effective oral and written communication skills
- Works effectively in a team environment
- Self-motivated with strong willingness and ability to learn and be challenged
- Must be computer literate and current on new technologies
- Hard working and a problem solver
- Knowledge of construction costs and budgets, ability to develop a project schedule including ability to make a resource loaded schedule and create manpower curve(s)
- Strong communication, leadership, integration, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Results-oriented individual with the ability to interpret and effectively manage multiple and competing priorities and time lines
- Positive and upbeat attitude
At IDL we strive to ensure a positive and safe work environment. Our employees are part of a work family built on respect, friendship and latitude for personal time. We live our core purpose of “Think Different, Build Better” and our core values of “Take Care of Each Other”, “Be Innovative”, “Build Great Things” and “Have Fun”.
- Competitive wages commensurate with experience
- Health and dental benefits
- Training opportunities
- Advancement opportunities
- Excellent work/life balance